Tuesday, October 26, 2010

SingPost and Junk Proof Letter Box

It used to be quite disgusting when your fellow residents simply drop the junk mail on to the floor in front of the Letter Box. Like myself, they are also so sick of the countless daily dosage of the junk mail. I still remember the first day when I moved in and checked the letter box. It was jam packed with junk.

The installation of "junk mail proof letter box" seemed to be a timely relief.

Actually the new letter box come as a surprise. There was no letter informing us of the change. One day you walked to the letter box and find empty and void at the place where it used to be. Then you notice some stickers with arrow pointing you to the new location.

The newly moved letter box looks totally shameful. It was dusty and dirty all over. Dust was even found inside the letter box. How the dirt gets into the letter box is anybody's guess. Since my letter box was actually at the side of the letter box set, I think the worker actually puts his hand into my letter box as a grip support.

It goes on for a few week till there is a letter informing us to collect the new letter box. I was quite glad when the keys was collected. It signals the new era of "No Junk Mail".

When I get the first ever junk mail from the letter box. I was quite surprised. How did the junk mail get into the box. The lid on my letter box is openable but is latched and can only be unlatched from the inside after you opened the letter box with your key.

On the next day, I happened to go downstairs and a post delivery man was putting in mails. I realize that he actually put in a junk mail into the letter boxes. I also noticed that there are quite a lot of fliers on his bike when he moved the bicycle pass me. Now, how did this happen? Then I realize that SingPost was privatized. This is, perhaps, another way they could earn money.

Since my new letter box is junk mail proof type, I would think that it is designed to prevent junk mails from getting in. Even the mail delivery person has no rights to put in junk mails right?

I wrote in to SingPost to check out. Their reply is candid. They simply say that they do put in "admail" and even indicate to me the schedule of what junk mail they put in.

Stop there! Why are they doing it? Is it not my letter box is now "junk mail proof"? On what authority can they put in "junk mail" while all others are now not able? If they can put in one, what is stopping them from not putting a whole bundle of it. In which case, what then is the "junk mail proof letter box" is for huh?

Does the Town Council install the "junk mail proof letter box" to benefit us or SingPost? Surely the former is the case. If SingPost can bypass that purpose and enjoy the monopoly of it then I may ask again "who benefits from the junk mail proof letter box"?

I am writing to MP, Town Council, forum, blogs, facebook etc. to highlight this strange behavior of SingPost. Hopefully more people can query the various authorities of this oddity.

No comments:

Post a Comment