Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cleanup vista.

My harddisk has only 100G. 15 of which is used for Linux partitioning. There is not much left to play with. Recently, it has been reduced to 20G free space. Some desperate measures has to be done.

First I tried to remove manually all orphans from un-installed programs. It looked like AVG left quite a few GB storage. Don't know what they are used for. On my other pc, it only took up 150MB even without uninstalling.

Next I go to "my computer" right click c:\ and select "properties". Clicked "Disk Cleanup". It seems that there is a way to clean up "hibernation" file from here. Also at "more options" tab, you could clear all shadows except the latest. Shadows are actually "System Restore points". It took up almost 27GB for all the hdd in the computer. 19GB is actually for c:\. I did a "clean up" for "system restore and shadow copies".

I also did a defrag using "defragger". The result is impressive. I had 49GB free now.

No comments:

Post a Comment