Monday, May 16, 2011

WEBGL

After trying to get CUDA to work, I come across this technology called WebGL. It is a Web-based Graphics Library that could be controlled by Javascript and worked on HTML5 canvas.

I started on Firefox, it displays a message that "javascript" is needed. I enabled "javascript". It then tells me that "WebGL is enabled" but a setting in the browser stops it from running. However, there is no indication of what was it that stops it from running. I gave up on Firefox.

Next, I turn to Chrome. It runs perfectly without problem. Now this is done on Vista.

Today, I tried on my XP. Chrome refused to run WebGL. Firefox does not run also. On further digging, I managed to get Firefox to run WebGL. The setting is quite simple. Go to about:config and search for webgl. Just change webgl.force-enabled to "true". Also ensure that webgl.disabled is "false".

Turning back to Chrome, I have tried various methods as advised by forums without success. Most suggest having the command line setting like '--ignore-gpu-blacklist'. '--no-sandbox', '--enable-webgl', etc...

There is a suggestion to use about:flags and change "GPU accelerated composition" and "webgl" to on. However, "webgl" setting is not found. Thus, this setting does not apply for Chrome 11.

Further reading shows that Google disabled "webgl" on xp. Finally, I give up just like the "CUDA". It is just a waste of time. Until such utilities are mature, it is pointless to keep digging.

Haredware Acceleration is good if it works generally without technical knowledge. Browsers are not for techies only. It should not get the non-technical users scratching the head as to what went wrong. Chrome has made the situation even worse by blocking it from XP. At least Firefox still enables it to run if we do the correct setting.

I had enough of playing with Graphics. For crying out loud, I don't even have Vista premium. Why am I bothered with graphics on the web? Games? I don't play games that requires GPU or 3D.

No comments:

Post a Comment