Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Christian Prayer

We pray before we venture into anything or during crisis moments. When the prayer is not answered then what? Some just accept the fact while others may even leave their faith. I have seen people change religion just because of the idea that god can grant them what they want.

We are told "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:" (Mat 7:7). The is one the many verses that is often used to encourage us to pray.

Does that equals to "I can ask for ANYTHING"? Does it means when I pray I will always get my prayers answered? Far from it. 

"Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts." (James 4:3)

Proverbs 1:28-31 -- "Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; they will see me diligently, but they will not find me. Because they hated knowledge and did not choose the fear of the Lord, they would have none of my counsel and despised my every rebuke. Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way, and be filled to the full with their own fancies."

"And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou [wilt]." (Matthew 26:39).

"Eli Eli Lama sabachthani"? (Mat 27:26).

On one end we are encouraged to pray but on the other end it is obvious that prayers may not be answered. Even Jesus himself did not get all his prayer answered.

One thing is sure - James 4:3 tells you that prayers will not be answered if you ask for selfish purposes.

Another thing is that If it is not within God's purpose, your prayer is not answered. I am sure every one knows about the two "world wars". I am sure there are moments in history where many Christians die because of their belief. Why are their prayers not answered?

Paul has a "thorn in the flesh". He prayed for it to be removed three times but the answer is “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” (2Cor 12:7-9)

The Sermon on the Mount has many blessings. However, if you just look at the first 9 verse and ignores the last 3 (Mat 5:1-12), then you missed the essence of the sermon. The last 3 verse speaks about blessings in persecution and sufferings. Being Christian is not just plain sailings.

My conclusion is - Do pray but bear in mind that if God grants your prayer it is a plus plus otherwise it is normal. Do not stop praying because there is no answer. 



No comments:

Post a Comment