Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Sharing files between phones


Previously I could easily transfer files between two Nokia phones easily. When I switched to Android, I have a problem. There is no such facility.

Now, Android have a few hundred thousand apps. Could any of them be used for this purpose?

First I tried Bump. The gimmick is to knock the two phones at the same time to get a respond to connect. My HTC responded to bumps easily but my 2  LG could not respond till I set the sensitivity to 100%. Once both get a respond, you could then do a connection and select a file to transfer.

Well, I somehow managed to connect and transfer the file to some one else. Weird. Besides this, the transfer worked quite well without a hitch.

It is then that I found out the fact that both must be connected to the same network. That is a flop. If I am outside with a friend on a different Telco, there is no common networks around. Thus this app was limited in its use.

Next, I tried Bluetooth FIle Transfer. Like Nokia, I need to setup connection first. The trouble is that Bluetooth in Android automatically switched off from being "discovered" after 120sec. Although this is good for security, it is quite a hassle when I am playing with two phones alone. After a few tries I managed to pair two phones.

On one phone, I start the app. Then I choose a file. From the menu I choose "send via blue tooth". The other phone automatically responds with a notification to allow connection, then it prompts me to accept the file. It worked just fine. I did not install the same app on the other phone. It is the bluetooth service that responds.

Now, that is weird. How is it that Android can receive files via blue tooth and has no facility to send one without having to install any app? Well, it really hurts to know that the BT is actually meant for phone to PC connection. All the action is done at the PC. Therefore, transfer from phone to phone is actually not required as considered by Android.

Next, I tried to use a normal file manager to tranfer files. Again, file managers are not standard app. The app  I choose is Astro. I choose the file by touch and hold method. Choose "send" then "via Bluetooth". The bluetooth setting appears. I choose the paired device and it sends ok.

Then I discover that there is a module of Astro called "Astro Bluetooth". I installed it and repeats the procedure. Now I have two choices. "Send by Bluetooth" and "send by Astro Bluetooth". Tried both. They are very similar. The only difference is that Astro is more like Bluetooth File Transfer app. I can now send and receive files using Astro. I think I can go without "receiving files". Therefore, Astro Bluetooth is not really needed.

I also evaluated "wifi transfer". Like Bump, you need to be on the same network. Which is no good.

I tried "sonicshare". This one is quite unique. You can do one-to-many transfer. Actually it is using a very old technique. It transmits/receives the data via sound. I can't hear anything when the transfer is going on. Probably using the ultrasonic range.  It worked qute well except that this version has a file size limit. There are two other version from the same company. One thing I don't like is it also send "system generated" files (ads from the company).

There is yet a new file sharing app. It works via wifi. It's called  "Wifi File Transfer". This means you have to have a network connection. The sharer runs the app and it will indicate an IP and a port. On the receiving end, you just need to start a browser and you will be able to download what ever file you like on the sharer. I have not tried uploading but it sure is convenient.


No comments:

Post a Comment