Friday, May 17, 2013

Out of Memory

For those with newer phones, the "phone memory" is at least 1GB. For those who still uses FROYO like me, the available memory is a meager 150MB. With around 20 apps installed, I always receive "out of memory" message.

I was scratching my head on how could I remove unnecessary apps. There are a few OEM installed apps which I can never remove. Thus as time goes, I end up with less than 15MB of memory. It is still usable till you run an update on large apps like Google Maps. It never fails to abort during installation.

Recent encounter during uninstalling of OEM installed programs gives me a surprise. By removing just the updates, my memory can jump 4 folds. I now have 60MB free simply because I removed updates for Facebook, Maps, Voice Search and YouTube. These were apps that I don't use on my Android.

Now I turn off auto updates. What is the use of updating those apps that I would not use and end up with "out of memory"? It sure is a bit troublesome to run updates but it beats the headache to clear enough memory just to update useless apps.



No comments:

Post a Comment