Sunday, June 16, 2013

Kent Ridge to West Coast Park

This is the third time within the week that I visited a park. This time it is Clementi Woods and West Coast Park.

The trip starts at Kent Ridge MRT from the NUH hospital exit end. The very first thing I took is a flower along the road side of Lower Kent Ridge Road.
The story cannot be started without a picture on NUS itself. Although I prefer nature pictures, this is a Brand that cannot be missed.
I noticed another Helliconia specie of flower which is usually red. This one is yellow.
Near the exit to Clementi Road, there is a sculpture on top of a long flight of stairs. My partner refused to climb the stairs thus can only take it from the bottom of the stairs.
The Clementi Wood Park stretches from Clementi Road to Sungei Pandan Kechil near West Coast Road. There is actually a mosque behind the sign board.
The Sakura Restaurant is in the park area.
The path is actually a little way in at the restaurant entrance. This is not the only way in to the park but in my plan it is the nearest route available going down Clementi Road from Kent Ridge Cres.
Behind Sakura, there is a number of crescent seats that looks like old Chinese tomb without the mound.

There is a flight of stairs down hill before coming to a flower circle.

At the end of the park there is a bigger flower circle.
At the end of the park then I see a map of the park. It is then that I realize my route actually commences at the middle of the park. Should have gone further down Clementi Road to take the next entrance.
Crossing the West Coast Road, we come to West Coast PC along side Sungei Pandan Kechil.
A short distance away, we reached the West Coast Park. But have to walk along the pc at West Coast Highway to reach the actual carpark entrance.
Turning right we start to walk around the edge of the park. There is a cotton tree near the path. I don't know the specie of the tree thus cannot comment.
Beside the tree there is a bamboo lined path. Its a good relief from the sun.
Make a bit of detour to the swamp garden near here.
If you visit a park in Singapore, chances you will come across a tree that have fruits that look like a ball. It is called a Canonball tree. I hate remembering the scientific name. It sounded like you are learned but it is awfully difficult to remember. I rather go with common names if I know them. Used to take pictures of just the fruit. This time I am lucky to take a picture of the budding flower.

Saw this cute flower along the path. I guess it is a Trumpet Flower.
This fruit looks like grapes but it is a fruit of a tree (Seagrape).
It is time to take a rest at the Macdonalds. Took me 15 minutes just to order two drink. It is packed full of people.

After a rest in an air-conditioned place, the trip continues. There is a pond after the underpass at Clementi Road. There is a sign says "Location Map". Unfortunately, it is only an orange square with nothing on it. Time for Nparks to do some maintenance.
A short distance before the end loop of the park, there is an exit point back to the Highway. It is situated near a pedestrian bridge. Across the bridge there is a narrow foot path to the left of the bridge. Near the end of the path, it is very narrow. I doubt anyone can push a bike through it.
Passing along Heng Mui Keng Terrace with private housing lining it, can't help but take this flower picture.
And along Prince George's park, took another one.
At the end of the Kent Ridge road then I realize I missed most of the Heritage trail. In my plan I actually looked at the possibility of walking along Kent Ridge Road. However, this road is dead-ended standalone road. Even OSM does not show any foot path route. I am not sure I could cut across the buildings at the dead end thus abandoned the idea.
There is a plaque that says the place name was consented by QEII.

Further down South Buona Vesta Rd and across it is the other MRT entrance. My trip ends at the entrance. Total distance covered is 11.88KM on Endomondo but is 9.6KM in Wikiloc.

The recorded trail is available in Wikiloc here http://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=4678671.


No comments:

Post a Comment