Friday, July 26, 2013

Kallang to Tai Seng

This route is comprised of Kallang PC, Pelton Canal PC, Balam PC and Paya Lebar PC. I have not been to the various PC before except the first one. Pelton Canal PC is the latest completed PC that connects between Kallang PC and Balam PC.

Actually, I don't expect much from Pelton PC as, like most new PC, it is usually quite empty when new. I was aiming for the older Balam PC.

The route started from Kallang PC. Just behind the MRT there is a small garden. You can find Glaucous Cassia grown there.
In between the plants, I found this Fragrant Flatsedge.
I don't know why it is called Pig Grass for this plant. Probably they used it to feed pigs in olden times. It was found along the Kallang PC.
This unknown named plant was found besides Housing board blocks.
This Glory Flower has a nice purplish color. If I am not wrong it is a herbal plant.
I just love this Blue Pea Vine. It is climing on the fence.
This unknown flower grows outside a fenced garden. Interestingly it is watered like those in the fence.
By now I am in a unnamed path after the Kallang PC. Probably it is part of the Pelton Canal PC. There is a tunnel that goes under the Geylang Bahru road.
This Dwarf pineapple grows behind a clinic. It is probably a private garden.
The Madagascar Dragon Tree grows on both sides of the overhead pedestrian bridge.
Took a picture on the overhead bridge in the direction of the Pelton PC. This bridge spans across the PIE. If you look around, there are a number of elevated roads all around.
This Skunk Vine grows beside the PIE. I had to climb over a railing to get the picture. It is truly a skunk vine. The smell is terrible. I didn't know the name while I was there and was puzzled by the smell. It didn't smell like something rotten. Just a stinking smell which I never smell before.
As expected, the new PC is quite empty except a few young trees. This Handkerchief tree looks nice.
Near the end of the new PC, I came across short grass like plant with some lonely flower grown on it. I skipped the picture taking as it is just not nice although I have never taken one on this plant before. As I enter ballam PC, I had a nice surprise. It is grown full of the same plant. It is called Apostle Plant. The name probably derived from the 12 apostles of Jesus as the plant do not flower till it has 12 leaves. It is also called the Walking yellow iris due to its way of producing new plants by extending the flowering stalk till it touches the ground away from the mother plant before new growth. Such interesting plant it is.
This tall Oleander is almost too high to take picture. I stood and raised my hand all the way to take this picture. Luckily my hand is still steady. This one is found in a garden between HDB blocks.
White Mussaenda has different colored leaves near the flower. From far, the leaves look like flower till you get near and see the actual flower.
This Loropetalum chinense don't seem to have a common name.

I just love blue color flowers. This Blue Twilight was not at the PC but is further out near the carpark. I can't help but walked over to take a snap of it.
The Rose Cactus has a funny shaped fruit. It looked like it is cut into half. Again this is in a garden among the HDB blocks. It looks like people here loves to grow garden plants.
A close up of the Yellow Alder flower. Which is also in the garden.
There were two plant growth area which is out of bound to visitors ( you can walk around but not into it.) This Fountain grass grows in one of them.
It took me awful long time to take a close up of the same plant. The constant wind caused the flower to sway all the time.
Chinese Violet has nice white flowers yet you will see a purple one popping out in between.
Incense Bush sounds like it should smell nice. Unfortunately, I can't smell anything.
The red Hibiscus here looks complicated. This is why it is also called Chinese Rose. I still prefer the plain 5 petaled specie. 
Along the Paya Lebar PC, you see lots of Duranta Dwarf White grown between Spider lily all the way. Very occasionally you will see flowers on the Duranta. I took two sets of picture on the same plant. This one is the best.
Found this nice looking 4 petaled flower plant. Just can't find the name for it.
I had to turn back as the Circle Line Tai Seng MRT is in the center of the PC across the road. It is not a very long distance trip but is quite enjoyable. 

Along the Ballam PC two woman talked to me. One is a shop keeper from China. She was looking at me taking the picture of flowers behind her shop.

The other woman is a Buddhist nun. She started to talk to me while I was trying to take picture of the Walking yellow iris. She started off with the same question as the shop keeper about me taking pictures of plants. Surprisingly, she continues to talk about other things. I don't sense that she has other motives other than just wanting to talk thus patiently listen and responds once a while. 

If I could take the picture properly, I would have said goodbye long ago. But that Iris is so small and the nagging wind keeps blowing. The result is I have to tolerate her continuous talking for more than 10 minutes. I managed to take the picture only after she left.

As usual the route mapped in WikiLoc is here

The full album in Picasa web album is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment