Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Ang Mo Kio MRT to Yio Chu Kang MRT via East and West Park

This trip is generally traversing between two parks in Ang Mo Kio. It is a short but hilly trip. The trip starts from Ang Mo Kio MRT. Unfortunately, it is a rainy day and I wasn't prepared for it. It rained even before I could start the trip. I had to wait for the rain to subside before starting.

The very first plant is a tree beside the MRT. This is a Indian Rosewood.

There are a few flights of steps leading up the hill. Right at the end of the steps is this Lipstick Palm.

There is a big sign board that looks like a half nutmeg. It is not surprising that it is about the nutmeg tree.


I have come across Rubber Trees before but never have any luck of taking a photo of its flower or fruit. Since there is also a Rubber Tree seed shaped sign board, I might as well take a picture of the tree.


Half way round the park, there is another big sign board about Cinnamon Tree. I can't peel off the bark of the tree to see the fresh Cinnamon bark, thus I can only satisfy with just a picture.


This Leopard Lily flower is found growing in Cheng San CC compound.

A patch of Chinese Evergreen grows besides it.

This Balek Angin plant grows further down.
I have to trek backwards to get under the MRT line so that  I could cross over to the West Park. On the way saw this plant that I could not identify at Residences Centre. The slightly bent edge made it look like a thick leaf.

This Pygmy Date Palm grows near the Masjid Al-Muttagin.

Crossing Ang Mo Kio Ave 6 and walking along the PC, I came to the West Park. This Cypress vine grows beautifully in a small garden. However, I could not take a sharp picture due to the rain start to gets heavier. You can see that the lower half of the picture is blurred due to the wind.

There is a few flights of steps up the hill. I decided to brave the rain and go up the staircase to a shed near the top. Along the way managed to snap a picture of the Red Snakeweed. It wasn't very clear as the flower is small and away from the leaves. This picture is taken with flash on.

This Peregrina grows further up the hill.

Previously there is a Leopard Lily now there is a Tiger Orchid. This Orchid plant is grown on top of the hill. The flower picture is from a return journey on a cycling trip last Sunday. If you compare with the Leopard Flower, you will find that they actually look alike except that the latter is a orchid while the former is a Lily.



This Amazon Blue picture is taken before I had to run for cover from the heavy rain.

While waiting at a shed, I noticed that there are quite a number of Joggers and Walkers braving the rain to do exercise on the holiday. Almost all walkers are senior citizens like me. They carry umbrella while walking in the rain. Must admire their spirit of keeping fit even when it rains. There is a girl who jogged in the rain around the park. I met her three times along the way. She must have jogged round and round the park.

When the rain subsides again, I continue the journey. This Taun Tree has been targeted while waiting at the shed. It has very nice red young leaves.

This Golden Shower Tree grows a bit off the route I am going but it is worth while. Unfortunately, there is no flower.

Walking along the edge of the park, I came across this Blue Morning Glory.

This Dracaena specie is found growing in large quantity. It is called Corn Tree probably because of its shape. 

The Akar Mempelas plant is very much further down the path.

Besides it is probably a fig tree which I cannot identify. You can see how wet it is by the water droplets on the fruit.

This Balek Angin grows in the wild.


This Tallow Tree is huge and is found near Mayflower Primary.

Beside the tree is a Lobi Lobi plant with much less fruit than that found in Hort Park. I could not recognize it at first till I wen back to Hort Park and saw the same plant.


Quite near the end of the park on the down slope, I saw a recumbent cyclist. Well, he had to push his three wheeled bike up the hill as it was quite steep and there is a danger that the bike will flip over. That kind of bicycle is sure not built for slopes.

I had to almost run through the rest of the route except some sheltered walk ways along Ave 6. 

The Wikiloc route map is here.

The full Picasa album is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment