Thursday, November 07, 2013

Gardens by the Bay West

I have passed by this garden many times. There is once I brought my friends to visit the garden. Of the many visits, I have only seen the many variety of plants growing along the bank of the reservoir. However, I guess that there will be much more species inside the garden itself. Well, I have guessed it correctly. On this visit I took pictures on more than 100 species so much so that WikiLoc refused to upload it. In actual fact, I have many more species in my L27 which my Android is not able to take.

From my last experience at Hort Park, this time round I am well prepared. I had a portable charger for my Android and extra batteries for the L27. As I took more than 3 weeks to find the name of most species in Hort park, this time round I will just publish whatever that I have found within 1 week. The reason is that I will never be able to find the name of all the species.

The trip started at Bay Front Exit A. Due to old age, I forget to change train at Marina Bay thus walked from Marina Bay to Bay Front instead. Its not very far as one can see Bay Front from Marina Bay (1 KM).

The very first flower I come across is a Blue Daze. Very nice flower indeed.

You will know the next flower even without seeing it. The aroma is simply gorgeous. It is the Day Jessamine flower. The fruit is black color. No wonder it is also called China Inkberry.


The white Lantana flower is splendid.

Comparatively the Bidi Leaf Tree flower looks very pure.

Since the park is relatively new, many plants are still bearing the nursery tag. This one even have barcodes on it.

This variant of the Plumeria makes the flower look very thin. I prefer the original version.

Usually I don't include man made structures in my pictures, this one made an exception simply because it is unique and is pure white color. The whole structure is supported only by the back of the hand. Its title is "Planet".

The white Dendrobium (Orchid) near the sculpture is very matching.

Another version of the Plumeria flower. Its leaves are quite different shape although the flower still looks the same.

You would have noticed that the last few flower pictures are white. I love white flowers as they looked pure.

Cassia flowers are usually yellow. You will find a hook like structure (stigma) sticking out of the flower. That is the characteristic of Cassia flowers.

The Candle Bush flower is also a nice yellow color.

The Purple Heart flower is small but very nice looking.

The Monkey's Brush flower only grows on the top side of the stalk (peduncle).


This golden Asconcenda (Orchid) is majestic.

Some green Fishtail Sword Fern for a change of view.

How about some Breadfruit? This one grows quite high on the tree. This is the highest zoom I can get.

There are many palm trees in the garden. Many of them are tagged already. This Sacred Palm is one of them.

Deurmekaarbos, an African name. The English name for it is Puzzle Plant. I found the scientific name from a hand written nursery tag.


From its look, this Velvet Pink Banana don't seems to be real.

The Calabash Tree fruit is huge.

This colorful Bauhinia is probably only found here. Its the first time I seen it. Its signature leave shape tells me that it is a Bauhinia plant.

The Willow Primrose is easy to recognize due to its large sepal. The flower is a bit torn but still can see its shape.

This variegated Lucky Tree is planted by Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (Prince William and wife).

Here is a 'macro' picture of a Red Passion Flower. I got too close to it and the tip is blurred.

This Oxblood Lily has a beautiful flower but an ugly name.

This purple Vanda (Orchid) is not blue but is actually dark purple color. I don't know why it keep turn out as blue. It may be due to the rainy weather that took a toll on the color. 

This Teruntum Merah actually grows on the water. The focus is a bit out as I have to do maximum zoom to snap the picture. The dark sky means that the exposure is slow. Shaky hand and long exposure time produces blurred pictures.

By now the rain is intolerably heavy. My Android camera is even wet when the last picture is taken.  I would have gone longer distance if not for the rain. I decided to come again next week instead. Well, it does save me from the trouble of having to delete waypoints in WikiLoc as it already exceeded 100 points (max limit). 

The WikiLoc route map is here.

The Full Picasa Album is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment