Wednesday, November 06, 2013

How Par and Labrador Nature Reserve

This is not a continuous walking route. It is actually two separate route done in one day one after another. How Par Villa is a a small park. There is no other parks (which I have not visited yet) near enough to walk around. Therefore I added another route just to make it longer. In between the two routes, I have to travel by MRT.

The How Par Villa MRT is just beside the How Par Villa. I went there half an hour before opening time and thus had to wait for it to open. Instead of doing nothing, I decided to walk around the Science Park area. Thus, I have traveled longer than that at the first route.

The first plant I took is a Money Plant at a very small park along Science Park Rd.

Near by is a Canna plant without flower but its leaves are very beautiful.

I walked to the Institute of Microelectronics at Heng Mui Keng Terrace. There are a few cannas growing beautifully there.



I then noticed that there is a Flaming Beauty across the road. It looks like an Ixora but the white flower will tell you that it is not.

Walking back on to Pasir Panjang Rd, I came across a sacred Bodhi tree. It is a Fig tree. It is said that Buddhists are forbidden to cut down a Bodhi tree.

Walking further down, I found this Indian Almond tree.

Looking downwards, I found this plant which I failed to identify.

A nice White Lady flower is growing there.

After taking the flower Picture, The entrance of the How Par Villa is at hand. This park is full of statues that depicts many aspects of life. It even include a "Hell". However, I am not interested in any human made structure unless it is unique enough. Sad to say nothing in this park attracts my attention except plants.

The first plant is a Giant Dumbcane. It is too far and is not in the proper position (facing the sun) for a nice picture but it will do.
The next one is a Bamboo specie.

Just before the "Hell" entrance is this nice Lotus growing on a concrete barrel.

I thought there will be something further down the path. It turned out that it is a dead end. Turning back and then turn right at the "Hell" entrance, I came across a pond with a Water Lily blooming there. I had to lean across a rock just to take the picture. Kind of dangerous for me.

On the last two trips I took pictures of Golden Shower Trees,  I did not manage to capture any flower on it. On this third try it is a success.


Turning round a corner, I saw this Indian Beech Tree. I am surprised that it is a bean family. The flowers are too small and not sharp but I could still recognize the characteristic of a bean flower. No close up is available as the lowest flower is at least 10 meters high. It is at such instances that I wish I could have a higher zoom camera.

The rainbow color Fragipani flower is just too attractive to miss.

I have taken a few Micky Mouse Plant Pictures, I am still intrigued by its characteristic. Look at the fruit. You will be amazed at its shape during the various stages of growth.


Another nice Bamboo grows here too.

The bamboo is the last plant I took in How Par Villa. Took a 10 minute rest at the MRT before continuing my trip at Labrador.

Part 2 of the trip is at Labrador Nature Reserve. The trip starts at Labrador MRT. Along the Labrador Villa Rd I found this large Cabbage tree growing at a distance behind a fence.


Right at the road junction is this Ground Orchid.

Just beside the orchid is this Campanula Orchid. Its blue fruit is so heavy that the branch go down flat onto the previous orchid's leaf. Unfortunately no flower is available.

Right in the middle of the reserve is this plant that I cannot identify.


The Photos Vine grows in abundance along one stretch of the path.

There is a Mexican Palm at the round about. Its fruits are huge in number.

The Sea Grape is a nice looking plant with round leaves.



The Cape Jasmine flower grows behind a resting shed.

Nibung Palm sure have a spiky trunk.


This is the first time I see fruits on Mexican Fan Palm.


The White Petrea flower is yet to bloom but it has fruit already.


I have taken a number of this Seashore Ardisia, a native plant, in Singapore. Only this time I got both flower and fruit at the same place.


The Sea Teak is too young to see the trunk properly.


The trip ends back at Labrador MRT.

The WikiLoc map for How Par Villa is here.

The Labrador Nature Reserve map is here.

The Picasa Album for both trip is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment