Friday, November 22, 2013

Woodlands Park Tour

I have cycled through the various parks in Woodlands in search of plants before but had never recorded it as a trip. Although there is a planned map, the ending part is not in a suitable location. On another exploratory walk last week, I managed to find an uncharted path that links the route perfectly. This week I tried to go through the route on foot but on the reverse as I was at the end of the route already.

The trip started at one bus stop after the Marsilling MRT. Walking on a path between HDB and Woodlands Sports complex is quite pleasing as the residents there planted quite a lot of greeneries on both side of the walk way. The first flower to greet me is a Rose.

Besides the rose is this Water Hyacinth. I have never noticed how beautiful the flower is before this.

The next one is a Chysanthemum I think.

Woodlands Town Park East lays right at the end of the foot path. Previously I said that there is no access to the park on this end. I was wrong. There is actually one. However, the path ended right at the top of the hill and is not joined to the other paths. You can see it from the map below (left side). It ended at a green field.

Since it is a walking path, I guess it is ok to walk on the green field to reach the other routes. There were three paths available. I choose the longest way. On reaching the other path, I find this beautiful Gold Shower growing in a small garden in large quantities.


This white Portulaca is very beautiful. It is the first time I find a white color Portulaca. It is small but beautiful.

The lady of the Night is a bit difficult to take a picture of it as the sunshine cause the picture to change color. It looks whitish now instead of yellowish.

I saw a woman using a cane with a flat attachment on the tip to hit her leg. I though it is mighty strange to do so till I saw another woman doing the same further down. A more strange sight is a woman meditating in a Lotus Position on a rock. I know it is a quiet park but there are still people moving around.

At the peak of the hill I find this Hibiscus, a Monarch Rosemallow.

Since I have gone through the park twice before, most of the nice flowers are already in my photo collection. I did not take any other flower on the way down hill.

The next park is Treehaus Park. It is a small park. Unfortunately there isn't any plants that I have an interest in. Instead, I found a Lavender Sorrel along the road at the edge of the park. A very small flower but is still nice to look at.

The Vista Park is quite a distance away. I wanted to use the PCN along the SLE but decided against it as I have gone through the PCN many times already. There will not be any other nice plants that I have not taken a picture of.

On reaching it, I find that the Sign Board is in need of maintenance.

This Taiwan Bonsai is planted by a MP. There are a number of other plants of the same specie. I wonder why they all have a name tag. Is it not a waste of money? It is the only specie in this park that have name tags.

In actual fact there is no other plants that I have an interest in beside the bonsai. On the way to the next park, I saw this tiny Water Willow growing plentifully along the walk way. It is so small that on maximum zoom of my L27, I couldn't take a bigger picture of the individual flower. Below is the best effort.

 There is a private condo along the way. I took this picture of the Song of India growing on the outside of the fence. It is a common plant but is still pleasing to see it.

The Mandai Tekong Park is the next destination. Unfortunately, I did not come across the sign board showing the name of the park. I did manage to take a picture of a Pyrossia (a fern specie) that almost cover the entire surface of the trunk of another tree.

After the park, I decided to cut across HDB buildings instead of walking back on the other side of the park to the beginning of the park as originally planned.

The Woodlands Admiral Park is a nice park but has no plant that I am interested in. In the end, I just took a picture of the park's name on the other end of the park.

The next park is the Woodlands Crescent Park. Its name is derived from the shape of the park. This park has more plants of interest. The very first plant that greets me is this Yellow Jade Orchid Tree.

Besides it is the Yellow Saraca with a purple color seed pod.


The Red Trailing Bauhinia grows over the shed along the outer edge of the park. This plant is also quite common in Singapore.

The Ganges Primrose also grows in a special shed made for it. I loved to see a bunch of the flower hanging like a lantern.


The name of the park is found at both end of the crescent.

Along an unnamed park is this beautiful Scarlet Flame Bean. I failed to take a picture of the bean itself.

Right across the road is the Circle Green Park. Unfortunately nothing attracts me over here too.

Along the way to the next park, I found this Ixora Molly Garret growing in a open private garden. Took quite some time to realize that it is an Ixora plant.

This Natal Plum grows in am open garden at a corner of the Fushan Garden. I used to come over to this garden to take pictures. The gardeners tends to cycle the plants growing there.

The Star of Bethlehem also grows beautifully in this park.

There is a durian tree there planted by a MP but unfortunately there is neither fruit nor flower available.

This route does not cover all the parks in Woodlands. Three of the big parks are not included here as they are featured in another blog of mine already. There are also other smaller unnamed parks in Woodlands which is not available along the planned route.

Finally a last picture of the name of the park ends the trip.

The WikiLoc route map is here.

The full Picasa Album is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment